Genetic Programming Based Formulation to Predict Compressive Strength of High Strength Concrete

Document Type : Research Papers


1 Faculty of Civil Engineering, Babol University of Technology

2 University of Mazandaran

3 Tabari University of Babol


This study introduces, two models based on Gene Expression Programming (GEP) to predict compressive strength of high strength concrete (HSC). Composition of HSC was assumed simplified, as a mixture of six components (cement, silica fume, super-plastisizer, water, fine aggregate and coarse aggregate). The 28-day compressive strength value was considered the target of the prediction.  Data on 159 mixes were taken from various publications. The system was trained based on 80% training pairs chosen randomly from the data set and then tested using remaining 20% samples. Therefore it can be proven and illustrated that the GEP is a strong technique for the prediction of compressive strength amounts of HSC concerning to the outcomes of the training and testing phases compared with experimental outcomes illustrate that the.


Main Subjects

Abdollahzadeh, G.R., Jahani, E. and Kashir, Z. (2016). "Predicting of compressive strength of recycled aggregate concrete by genetic programming", Computers and Concrete, 18(2), 155-163.
Bhargava, S., Dulikravich, G.S., Murty, G.S., Agarwal, A. and Colaco, M.J. (2011). "Stress corrosion cracking resistant aluminum alloys: Optimizing concentrations of alloying elements and tempering", Materials and Manufacturing Processes, 26(3), 363-374.
BS 8110-1 (1997). Code of practice for structural use of concrete Part 1: Design and construction, British Standard, BSI, London.
Castelli, M., Vanneschi, L. and Silva, S. (2013). "Prediction of high performance concrete strength using genetic programming with geometric semantic genetic operators", Expert Systems with Applications, 40(17), 6856-6862.
Chou, J.S. and Tsai C.F. (2012). "Concrete compressive strength analysis using a combined classification and regression technique". Automation in Construction 24, 52-60.
Ferreira, C. (2006). "Automatically defined functions in gene expression programming, In Genetic Systems Programming", Springer Berlin Heidelberg, 21-56.
Ferreira, C. (2001). "Gene expression programming: a new adaptive algorithm for solving problems", Complex Systems, 13(2), 87-129.
Gandomi, A.H., Mohammadzadeh, D., Pérez-Ordóñez, J.L. and Alavi, A.H. (2014). "Linear genetic programming for shear strength prediction of reinforced concrete beams without stirrups", Applied Soft Computing, 19, 112-120.
Ganguly, S., Datta, S. and Chakraborti, N. (2009). "Genetic algorithm-based search on the role of variables in the work hardening process of multiphase steels", Computational Materials Science, 45(1), 158-166.
Kayadelen, C., Günaydın, O., Fener, M., Demir, A. and Özvan, A. (2009). "Modeling of the angle of shearing resistance of soils using soft computing systems", Expert Systems with Applications, 36(9), 11814-11826.
Milani, A.A. and Nazari, A. (2012). "Modeling ductile-to-brittle transition temperature of functionally graded steels by gene expression programming", International Journal of Damage Mechanics, 21(4), 465-492.
Nazari, A., Khalaj, G. and Var, N.D. (2012). "Computational investigations of the impact resistance of aluminum-epoxy-laminated composites", International Journal of Damage Mechanics, 12, 623-646.
Nazari, A. and Riahi, S. (2011). "Prediction split tensile strength and water permeability of high strength concrete containing TiO2 nanoparticles by artificial neural network and genetic programming", Composites Part B: Engineering, 42(3), 473-488.
Podgornik, B., Leskovšek, V., Kovačič, M. and Vižintin, J. (2011). "Residual stress field analysis and prediction in nitrided tool steel", Materials and Manufacturing Processes, 26(9), 1097-1103.
Sarıdemir, M. (2014). "Effect of specimen size and shape on compressive strength of concrete containing fly ash: Application of genetic programming for design", Material and Design, 56, 297-304.
Sarıdemir, M. (2011). "Empirical modeling of splitting tensile strength from cylinder compressive strength of concrete by genetic programming", Expert Systems with Applications, 38(11), 14257-14268.
Samayiinejaad, A. (2001). "The application of neural networks and genetic algorithms to determine the high-strength concrete mix design", M.Sc. thesis, Isfahan University of Technology, Isfahan, Iran.
Teodorescu, L. and Sherwood, D. (2008). "High energy physics event selection with gene expression programming", Computer Physics Communications,178(6), 409-419.‏
Volume 50, Issue 2
December 2017
Pages 207-219
  • Receive Date: 05 March 2016
  • Revise Date: 09 March 2017
  • Accept Date: 15 March 2017
  • First Publish Date: 01 December 2017